Puerto de la Cruz is set to reopen its most popular beach after a year. To this end, the local council has stepped up measures in recent months to resolve the sewage crisis at Playa Jardín. The aim is to improve the sewage disposal infrastructure in order to reduce discharges and enable the beach to reopen before the summer.
Following the completion of an initial intensive cycle of cleaning and construction work on the sewage and stormwater networks in Punta Brava, the city began a second maintenance cycle on Thursday. The initial measures are said to have led to significant improvements. The number of potential discharges has fallen, and the treatment of sewage has been optimised.
The results of the analyses carried out by Salud Pública appear to show that the water quality in the bathing area at Playa Jardín has consistently been within acceptable or favourable limits since mid-December 2024. Nevertheless, the beach has been closed continuously since last year. However, the city has now announced a date for its reopening:
Progress on the regeneration of Playa Jardín in Puerto de la Cruz
During the first phase, which ran from February to April 2025, the teams cleaned, amongst other things, the sedimentation chambers at the EBAR Caletón pumping station and along twelve roads. They worked on the surrounding coastal collector to prevent blockages and ensure the smooth flow of wastewater.
New pumps have been installed at the EBAR Caletón and EBAR Playa Chica stations, tailored to their respective requirements. An overflow detector at EBAR Caletón has since been used to assist with monitoring. In addition, manual cleaning of the inlets and inspections of shafts, covers and access points in the western, central and eastern sectors have been carried out to prevent flooding.
In the second phase, which began on Thursday and is set to continue for the time being, further cleaning operations are being carried out and the rainwater overflow system is being improved. Rainwater is being diverted using an excavator. The manual cleaning of inlets and ongoing inspections in the West and Centre sectors remain the responsibility of the technicians at present.
Tenerife: Long-term investment in wastewater infrastructure
As next steps, the city plans additional manual cleaning of the inlets and a comprehensive inspection of the manholes in the West sector. The sewerage system in Dácil and Beneharo streets is also to be cleaned. The diversion of excess rainwater at the EBAR Caletón using the excavator is continuing. Necessary cleaning work on the coastal collector at Playa Chica and in Añagua and Guayanfanta streets is also due to take place.
Among the medium-term measures is the project to divert water from La Vera into the interceptor sewer. The Tenerife Island Water Board of Tenerife granted approval for this a month ago. The project has therefore been given the go-ahead from a technical perspective and can now be put out to tender.
In the long term, extensive improvements to the municipal sewage pumping stations and overflow points are planned. These form part of the new contract for the integrated water cycle. In March, the City Council approved the preliminary project for construction and operation, as well as an investment programme totalling around 30 million euros.
Canary Islands: Playa Jardín set to reopen in June
The Councillor for General Services, Alonso Acevedo, views the results so far as encouraging and as proof of the effectiveness of the chosen strategies. „We will continue to work hard to keep our beaches clean and safe so that Playa Jardín once again becomes a place where everyone can swim without worry,“ said Acevedo.
The Puerto de la Cruz local authority has recently been placing greater emphasis on its commitment to environmental protection and the ongoing improvement of the quality of life in the town and the wider region. It was stated that, as part of this, the aim is to reopen Playa Jardín in June in a safe and sustainable manner.











No comments on this article yet.