Skip to content
Wednesday, 19. August 2026

Reader questions 17 million euro cable car plan for Santa Cruz

One of our reader reporters argues the money would be better spent on sewage infrastructure and training for young people, warning that waste water still reaches the sea.

Von Marlis Zoschke

„That can’t possibly be true,“ I thought. „How can anyone plan construction projects like this when there are more important matters that ought to take priority?“ I’d previously read a report stating that 17 million euros were to be spent on a cable car in Tenerife’s capital.

It’s quite possible that, to begin with, many tourists will want to try out this ‚attraction‘ just so they can join in the conversation. Have all those who support this unnecessary cable car actually ever travelled to the summit of Mount Teide? Probably not. After all, the cost is quite a challenge for a family.

Or are the organisers of this unique project hoping that the Amigos from the USA will flock to the cable car? There are far bigger attractions over there. That said, it would at least be a source of income for the island. After all, the tourists certainly won’t be making any major purchases. Their time there is far too short for that. The ice-cream parlours will probably see the highest takings. But Tenerife has quite different problems to deal with than a superfluous cable car.



Tenerife would be better off investing millions in sewerage or education

Has work now begun on renovating or building a proper sewerage system? Instead, the filth continues to flow into the sea – or the rats are really thriving.

I would argue that the pipes used for waste water are unsuitable for a sewerage system. After all, there are already pipes designed specifically for waste water that are particularly durable. And in this case, I fear that the specifications have been applied rather loosely.

Even small cracks in the pipe allow sewage to leak out and seep into the ground. This is not only harmful to the environment, but can also pose a health risk. And not just for local residents.

Tenerife, you’d be better off investing in young people!

That 17 million could be put to better use for young people. I think there are still a great many workers with only a modest level of education – as is the case almost everywhere. And that they have to work for a pittance in the catering sector. Proper training would be beneficial here too. Times have changed, and things aren’t as simple as they were 50 years ago.

When we arrived in Tenerife a year ago, we were immediately told: ‚We don’t want foreigners working here. We need the jobs for our own people.‘
That situation is unlikely to have changed much. At most, it’s just not said quite so bluntly anymore.

Our reader correspondent, Marlis Zoschke, regularly writes about her experiences over many decades in the Canary Islands. You can find more of her articles here.

Comments

No comments on this article yet.

Commenting is reserved for Teneriffa News members. Log in now or become a member.